FLOWERY BRANCH – The Falcons made one move and saw a former player sign with a NFC South rival.
Here are 5 things to know about the Falcons on Tuesday:
1. GODFREY RE-SIGNED: The Falcons re-signed safety Charles Godfrey to a one-year contract. Godfrey played in eight games and made 11 tackles. Godfrey, 30, was steady down the stretch and did a nice job of covering tight ends. Godfrey’s deal is worth $965,000, which includes a $80,000 signing bonus.
2. SOLIAI TO PANTHERS: Former Falcons defensive tackle Paul Soliai signed a two-year $7 million contract with the Carolina Panthers. Soliai visited with the Carolina Panthers on Sunday. Soliai was released by the Falcons after refusing to take a pay cut.
3. LONG TAKING HIS TIME: Defensive end Chris Long, who visited with the Falcons, plans to take three more visits before making his decision, according to NFL Media.
4. McCLURE LIKES MACK: Former Falcons center Todd McClure likes the signing of center Alex Mack.
“I think it’s a great, great signing for the Falcons,” McClure told atlantafalcons.com. “It’s an area when you don’t have a good center, the whole thing’s difficult. So I know Matt Ryan is going to be extremely happy. The Falcons got better on third down, blitz pickup; the whole offense will be better with Alex Mack.”
5. DRAFT STILL FOCUS: While fans get all worked up about free agency, the good teams build through the draft. Michael Cunningham duly noted that the Falcons must develop — for the long-term — through the draft.
FREE AGENCY STORIES
2016 NFL COMBINE COVERAGE
ATLANTA FALCONS OFFSEASON STORIES