5 things we learned about the Falcons this week
FILE PHOTO: 122914 ATLANTA: Falcons owner Arthur Blank (from left), GM Thomas Dimitroff and President Rich McKay take questions during a press conference following the firing of head coach Mike Smith at the Arthur M. Blank Foundation on Monday, Dec. 29, 2014, in Atlanta. The team now knows how much it will cost to extend Julio Jones’ contract. (Curtis Compton / firstname.lastname@example.org)
FLOWERY BRANCH – It was a busy week for the Falcons, who moved into the second phase of free agency and are now directing their efforts to the draft.
Falcons coach Dan Quinn promised to send some tweets from the road when he’s out scouting and conducting private workouts in the upcoming weeks. We’ll be sure to share.
Here are five things we learned this week:
1. CONGRATS TO BLANK: Falcons owner Arthur Blank announced to a crowd of techies that he was free of cancer on Thursday. He had prostate cancer surgery about four weeks ago.
2. SWING TACKLE ADDED: The Falcons added tackle Tom Compton this week. He’s slated to be the team’s swing backup tackle.
3. SHOW OF FORCE AT UGA: The Falcons had 18 representatives at Georgia’s Pro Day on Wednesday. While they clearly wanted to see defensive end Leonard Floyd do his full workout, they also were heavily scouting running back Keith Marshall, linebacker Jordan Jenkins and kicker Marshall Morgan. Falcons head coach Dan Quinn is slated to attend Georgia Tech’s Pro Day on Friday.
4. RECAP OF MOVES: You missed a signing? Click here to review the signings since March 1.
5. DEPTH ADDED: The Falcons added some depth with the signings of safety Damian Parms, cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke and wide receiver Aldrick Robinson.
FREE AGENCY STORIES
Falcons’ Dan Quinn loyal to Shanahan, staff, amid heat
Linebacker Jerrell Freeman won’t be joining Falcons
Falcons mulit-level free agency makeover underway
Weatherspoon hopes to revive career, where it started
Falcons, O’Brien Schofield at impasse
Falcons agree to five-year deal with center Alex Mack
Mohamed Sanu: ‘I’m not trying to fill anybody’s shoes’
2016 NFL COMBINE COVERAGE
Alabama defensive tackles (A’Shawn and Jarran) are NFL-ready
Falcons defensive line coach Bryan Cox gets into shoving match at NFL combine
Floyd, Jenkins are stellar NFL prospects
Firm helps NFL prospects prepare for newfound wealth — 7 financial pitfalls they’ll face
Ex-Georgia linebacker Jordan Jenkins has met with the Falcons
Clemson’s Shaq Lawson interviewed with the Falcons
Nkemdiche has uphill battle to improve NFL draft status
Nkemdiche would love to play for the Falcons
14 questions with Georgia Tech standout Adam Gotsis
Falcons checking out interior linemen at the combine
18 questions with Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff
Quinn still evaluating the roster — Nothing new on Roddy White
7 players the Falcons are watching at the combine
13 questions with Falcons coach Dan Quinn
5 questions with Duke punter Will Monday (Flowery Branch High)
26 State prospects hope to make impact at NFL combine