FLOWERY BRANCH – With the league meetings completed, the countdown to the NFL draft can start. The draft is set for April 28-30 in Chicago.
Here are 5 things to know about the Falcons on Monday:
1. Upshaw to sign: The Falcons, who are re-vamping their linebacker unit, agreed to terms on a one-year contract with former Baltimore Ravens and Alabama outside linebacker Courtney Upshaw on Friday. Upshaw will be counted on to add toughness to the defensive front seven and will play the Leo/outside linebacker position. His signing is unrelated to strongside linebacker Brooks Reed. Upshaw should be in early this week to sign the deal.
2. South Carolina roadtrip: The Falcons visited South Carolina for a private workout.
Tight end Jerell Adams, wide receiver Pharoh Cooper, offensive tackle Brandon Shell and running back Brandon Wilds were the South Carolina players invited to the combine.
Shell’s great uncle is NFL Hall of Famer Art Shell, who coached the Falcons’ offensive line form 1997-2000 and was therefore on coach Dan Reeves’ Super Bowl staff.
3. Boykin to visit Panthers: Brandon Boykin, who starred at Georgia, before playing at Philadelphia and Pittsburgh is scheduled to visit Carolina on Monday, according to the Charlotte Observer.
4. Salary cap update: According to the NFLPA’s public salary cap report (Top 51), the Falcons have 60 players under contract, $3,905,771 in previous year carryover, $149,599,528 in team cap and are $9,202,143 under the cap.
5. Cheerleader auditions: The last prep class before the cheerleader auditions start is set for April 23. For more information on trying to make Falcons’ cheer squad CLICK HERE.
FREE AGENCY STORIES
2016 NFL COMBINE COVERAGE
ATLANTA FALCONS OFFSEASON STORIES