5 things to know about the Falcons on Monday
September 4, 2015 – Atlanta, Ga: Charlotte 49ers running back Kalif Phillips (3) is tackled by a host of Georgia State Panthers defenders including, cornerback Bruce Dukes (27), linebacker Trey Payne (42), safety Bobby Baker (2) and linebacker Joseph Peterson (6) in the first quarter of their game at the Georgia Dome, September 4, 2015, in Atlanta. PHOTO / JASON GETZ
FLOWERY BRANCH – After a week on the road, the Falcons will spend some time at the team’s nerve center as the countdown to the NFL draft has started.
The draft is set for April 28-30 in Chicago.
Here are 5 things to know about the Falcons on Monday:
1. Ryan’s golf tourney set: Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan will host his celebrity golf tournament at the TPC Sugarloaf on Monday, April 11 to raise money for Aflac Cancer Center of Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta and the Matt Ryan Foundation.
2. Locals day is Wednesday: Georgia defensive tackle Sterling Bailey (East Hall) and Georgia State cornerback Bruce Dukes (Sandy Creek) have been invited. There will be mostly lower-profile prospects hoping to catch on likely as undrafted free agents. Eligible players include those who went to local colleges, local high schools or both.
3. Byard had strong Pro Day: Middle Tennessee safety Kevin Byard (M.L. King High, Lithonia) was one of the biggest combine snubs. He improved his 40-yard dash time on Thursday at the school’s Pro Day. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.49 seconds and had a 38-inch vertical jump, 10-foot broad jump and bench pressed 225 pounds 22 times. After his workout he met with Detroit, Oakland, Tennessee and Cleveland. Byard had a strong showing at the Senior Bowl, too.
4. Salary cap update: According to the NFLPA’s public salary cap report (Top 51), the Falcons have 62 players under contract, $3,905,771 in previous year carryover, $150,629,528 in team cap and are $8,172,143 under the cap. The Falcons are $7,869,064 million under the cap and have $18,814,246 in dead money on their cap charge, according to overthecap.com. The Falcons have $7,868,897 in cap space, according to sportrac.com.
5. Cheerleader auditions: The last prep class before the cheerleader auditions start is set for April 23. For more information on trying to make the Falcons’ cheer squad CLICK HERE.
April 14, 2014 – Duluth – Matt Ryan reacts to one of his tee shots. Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan and the Aflac Cancer and Blood Disorders Center of Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta teamed up for the fourth annual Matt Ryan Celebrity-Am Classic. The tournament raises funds for the Aflac Cancer Center and the Matt Ryan Foundation. The 2014 Matt Ryan Celebrity – Am was held at TPC Sugarloaf ahead of the Greater Gwinnett Championship, the Champions Tour event at Sugarloaf to be held later this week. BOB ANDRES / BANDRES@AJC.COM
LATEST ON THE FALCONS
Falcons set offseason training schedule
Falcons 61 draft picks under GM Thomas Dimitroff
Falcons could wear all-Red uniforms for a game next season
Touchback rule has Quinn plotting strategy
COUNTDOWN TO THE DRAFT: The plight of Ole Miss DT Robert Nkemdiche
FREE AGENCY STORIES
Falcons’ Dan Quinn loyal to Shanahan, staff, amid heat
Linebacker Jerrell Freeman won’t be joining Falcons
Falcons mulit-level free agency makeover underway
Weatherspoon hopes to revive career, where it started
Falcons, O’Brien Schofield at impasse
Falcons agree to five-year deal with center Alex Mack
Mohamed Sanu: ‘I’m not trying to fill anybody’s shoes’
2016 NFL COMBINE COVERAGE
Alabama defensive tackles (A’Shawn and Jarran) are NFL-ready
Falcons defensive line coach Bryan Cox gets into shoving match at NFL combine
Floyd, Jenkins are stellar NFL prospects
Firm helps NFL prospects prepare for newfound wealth — 7 financial pitfalls they’ll face
Ex-Georgia linebacker Jordan Jenkins has met with the Falcons
Clemson’s Shaq Lawson interviewed with the Falcons
Nkemdiche has uphill battle to improve NFL draft status
Nkemdiche would love to play for the Falcons
14 questions with Georgia Tech standout Adam Gotsis
Falcons checking out interior linemen at the combine
18 questions with Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff
Quinn still evaluating the roster — Nothing new on Roddy White
7 players the Falcons are watching at the combine
13 questions with Falcons coach Dan Quinn
5 questions with Duke punter Will Monday (Flowery Branch High)
26 State prospects hope to make impact at NFL combine