FLOWERY BRANCH — After not re-signing defensive linemen Jonathan Babineaux and releasing Tyson Jackson, the Falcons made their biggest move of the offseason by signing defensive tackle Dontari Poe to a one-year, $8 million incentive-laden contract on Thursday.
Here are five things to know about the Falcons on Friday:
1. Did the Falcons overpay for Poe? Miami only wanted to pay Poe $4 million, according to our pal Adam Beasley of The Miami Herald.
2. Why did the Chiefs let him go? Poe was partially a financial decision by the Chiefs and there was the issue of a drop in his play and a back surgery. The Falcons weren’t available for questions yesterday on Poe’s medicals nor to address his dip in play over the past two seasons.
3. Georgia Tech Pro Day. Falcons coach Dan Quinn and general manager Thomas Dimitroff will be at Georgia Tech’s Pro Day today starting at 10:30 a.m.
4. Roddy White’s Scholarship Program. Uncle Roddy loves the kids. The “Roddy White Keep the Faith Foundation” is awarding scholarships to 10 students to be used toward tuition at the post-secondary institution of their choice. The Roddy’s Rockstars Scholarship will be awarded to students demonstrating academic achievement and community involvement. “Our goal is to help enhance the experience of those who have a desire to continue their education or training in their chosen field,” White said. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION.
5. CHEERLEADER TRYOUTS: Under the guidance of longtime Falcons cheer coordinator Chato Hendrix and choreographer Jakene Ashford audition preparation classes for the 2017 Atlanta Falcons cheerleader squad have started.
The classes will provide candidates with an overview of the program along with a brief question/answer session and teach dance combinations similar to those performed during the games. The Falcons offer several class options. One participant from each class will automatically advance to finals.
Classes will be taught by the Atlanta Falcons Cheerleaders staff and current cheerleaders. The March 11 and April 1 classes will be held at Windy Hill Athletic Club, located at 135 Interstate North Parkway SE in Atlanta.
The auditions for the 2017 squad will be held on Sunday, April 2, with a $35 non-refundable application fee.